Young Almanzo Wilder's favorite thing to eat was apples & onions. This blew me away when I was a little girl--onions and fruit?--as did the facts that he frequently ate pie for breakfast and that his sisters, who were probably my age, knew how to make ice cream and pound cake. Now apples and onions make perfect sense to me, but I hadn't actually put them in the same skillet until last Thursday. Thanks again to Lucinda Scala Quinn...I love this book. What else did we eat?
- 2.8 leftover bean gratin and polenta
- 2.9 baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli
- 2.10 Madhur Jaffrey's pupusas, cabbage slaw, and rice
- 2.11 pork chops with apples & onions, wheatberries with butter and thyme, sage, tarragon, and cinnamon (would have been better with mashed potatoes or bread, but these wheatberries would be good for something else)
- 2.12 roated beets and rice (Bee), slaw and cake (me)
- 2.13 pizza (one with onions and thyme, one with tomato and mozzarella)
- 2.14 wheatberry salad, green salad with grilled chicken